Sunday, October 23, 2011

Feed Me! Chili's Eggrolls

A friend linked to this recipe on Facebook and it just sounded so good I had to try it out.  I did make slight modifications (when don't I?), nothing major but you can see what I changed in the small print below.

(In place of fresh red pepper I used jarred fire roasted peppers because it was more economincal.  In place of fresh jalapeno I used jarred, because I already had some.  I used fresh spinach and just let it wilt in the heat-up process.  I used dried parsely instead of fresh.)

I also made the dipping sauce (with no modifications) and it was very good.  We had these twice and the second time I did change up the sauce.  In place of all of the spices it calls for I just added 1/2 Tbsp of ranch dressing powder.  We liked it our way better, but as I said the sauce recipe as written was very good.

Oh, and the most important modification was that I did NOT deep fry them.  I just can't bring myself to fry things.  For one thing, it's messy; secondly, it's not very healthy; and lastly, it's a waste of a lot of oil.  So, I just lightly brushed some oil all over the rolls with a pastry brush and baked them at 450 for about 20 mins, flipping the rolls over every 5 mins.

1 comment:

cairn said...

They look delicious! I like that you baked them... I'll have to try that with some of the things we fry that leaves me feeling guilty.