Wednesday, March 3, 2010

My Conversion Story

Growing up I was anti. I didn't want anything to do with mushrooms. The very mention of them made me shudder. On my mission I was forced to get better aquainted with several varieties of the foul fungus. Our relationship became one of a tolerable co-existance, but I still wasn't sure if I wanted them to be a part of my life permanently. Then one day, my life changed forever. I was introduced to my cousin Renee's famous stuffed mushrooms and that's when it happened - I saw the light and became converted; I haven't regretted it.

(this isn't my picture - I forgot to take one, so I barrowed this from the internet.
but it's pretty much true to what they look like)


Ingredients
1 1/2 - 2 lbs fresh large mushrooms
2/3 lb sage sausage, Jimmy Dean
1/3 lb hot sausage, Jimmy Dean
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup parsley
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
Optional topping: grated parmesan cheese, parsley, paprika

Directions
1. Wash, dry and de-stem mushrooms.
2. Combine oil and vinegar and toss with mushrooms. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes (or no more than 2 hours).
3. Meanwhile, brown the meat together.
4. Add cream cheese, parmesan and parsley to cooked meat.
5. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
6. Place mushrooms in a baking dish (with sides) hole up. Stuff each mushroom hole with a mound of sausage and cream cheese mixture.
7. Sprinkle parmesan, parsley and paprika on top (if you want).
8. Bake at 400 for 10 minutes.
9. Then broil for 5 min until tops are golden.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

I really like mushrooms. I think it started one day when my dad cooked a hamburger on the skillet with sauteed mushrooms. Matthew loves them, and I think I've come to enjoy them more since I've been married. I think most people hate the things as kids, although I do know one little girl who loved them even at age 3 or 4. The recipe looks tasty!

Je9Jeanine said...

Yay! I am glad you gave them a try! Super Yummy!