Sunday, February 21, 2010

Lent

Last Tuesday night I decided to give up chocolate for Lent. I know, Mormons don't celebrate Lent, but why not?

According to the omniscient source of Internet verity - wikipedia - Lent is:

"the period of the liturgical year leading up to Easter. The traditional purpose of Lent is the preparation of the believer - through prayer, penitence, alms giving and self-denial - for the annual commemoration during Holy week of the Death and Resurrection of Jesus, which recalls the events linked to the Passion of Christ and culminates in Easter, the celebration of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ."

I had friends growing up celebrated Lent, but I never bothered to find out what it was all about until now. And I have to say that I'm a little sad that I didn't know about this holiday tradition sooner. What a beautiful way to remember our Savior and celebrate his death and resurrection - not just for one Sunday, but for 40 days.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

You inspire me Emily! Way to be amazing!