Sunday, September 27, 2009

Cobbler - not just a shoe maker

We made some cobbler for a function the other night and got compliments on it so I thought I would post the recipe. The base recipe I got from allrecipes.com, but I tweaked it a bit.

1 (29 oz) Can sliced peaches
1 (29 oz) Can sliced pears
1 egg
3/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons butter, melted

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 2 quart baking dish. (I actually forgot this step and it turned out fine)(oh, and I used a 9x13 glass dish which worked just fine as well). Drain the peaches and pears and arrange the fruit in the prepared baking dish.

In a medium bowl, beat egg, sugar, and milk. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon (I also added a dash of allspice because I didn't have any nutmeg); stir into the egg mixture. Stir in vanilla and melted butter. Cover the fruit with the batter mixture.

Bake 30 minutes in the preheated oven. Cobbler should be bubbly and lightly browned. Serve warm with vanilla icecream.

1 comment:

Hardy and Bethany said...

Interesting, I didn't realize a party was a function!

J/K. It was really good.